lørdag 16. april 2016

Pigs might fly - a mixed media project and a friendly challenge

"Pigs might fly" is a Bristish - American - Australian idome with the meaning "It is no chance of that happening". The Norwegian language is very much influenced by the English language, but this is one idome we don't use, and we don't have a good idome to replace it.  

 I had thought about doing an altered pig with wings ever since 2012, when Graphic 45 came out with "Olde Curiosity Shoppe Collection" with the flying pigs.  After the realese of this collection, I have seen several flying pigs online, so this must be something that has inspired a lot of artists like Miranda Edney and The gentleman crafter

Some time ago, I found some small plastic pigs in a small shop in an amusement park, Tusenfryd. The shop was closed, but I managed to get them to open the shop, to get hold of some pigs. 

This pig has also been blogged for Hobbykunst, where you can find a lot of the paints I have used for the pig.


The pig was altered, and painted. This is how it ended up.


I started with a small plastic pig


and a set of wings from Prima - Relics & Artifacts - Rising Spirit II. The wings are quite different, so I started with using a knife and cutting of parts of the wing on the right side. The pig is plastic, so I created some holes in the back of the pig, so I could mount the wings.



Then I added the base. The base is a block of wood. I added a wooden stick to the block and to the pig, by drilling a hole in the base and the pig, and gluing everything together. As a mixed media glue, I have used Liquitex super heavy matte acrylic gel medium


I glued metal to the pig, and painted it black.


After this, I dry painted the pig with  different colours of Metamica paint from Stewart Gill.


Flowers are from Wild Orchid craft and Prima.


I also used gesso and inka gold






Friends solution to the "Pig Challenge"


I used one myself, and I have sent the others to some crafty friends, as a challenge (more of the links will be added as the pigs are published). 







I am entering these challenges:





10 kommentarer:

  1. Tommel opp for denne kreasjonen ,Kirsten !

    -Helle-

    SvarSlett
  2. Wow! What a great project - I just love how it has turned out. You would never think that started out as a pink, plastic pig! Great work.
    Thanks for joining us over at Creative Artiste this month. Hope to see you again - good luck!
    Hugs,
    Bev (DT) x

    SvarSlett
  3. AWESOME..hard to believe it was a humble plastic pig ! Superb mixed media makeover to it !

    SvarSlett
  4. Oh my goodness!! I just LOVE your flying pig!! So beautiful! Thank you for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog!

    SvarSlett
  5. Flott prosjekt. Takk for at du deltar hos Scrappelyst.

    SvarSlett
  6. Wow I love the pigs you have created in this gorgeous Pigs might Fly.... Thank you so much for entering our challenge over at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog, we hope to see you join in again...

    Hugs Rhonda DT & Owner xxx
    http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk

    SvarSlett
  7. love love this, so cute and great texture to your creation
    thanks for joining our challenge over at
    http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com.au
    Debbie Dt

    SvarSlett
  8. Love this little flying pig 😀🐷

    SvarSlett
  9. there are no words for quite HOW MUCH i love this little piggy. such a fabulous project and executed to perfection! love love LOVE IT! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    SvarSlett
  10. Love it! A flying pig, his project is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing it with us at Altered Eclectics.

    SvarSlett

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...